Sukhdev Mathur passes away (May 6, 2019)

News and information about the Indo-Canadian Community including news from India.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Sukhdev Mathur passes away (May 6, 2019)

Post by bbadmin »

MATHUR, Sukhdev P. (“Sukhu”)
Passed away peacefully on Monday, May 6, 2019. [Read Eulogy below]

“Mourn not too long that he is gone, rejoice forever that he was.”
[Published in The Ottawa Citizen on May 7, 2019]

Born in Ajmer, India on December 28, 1934, Sukhu is survived by his beloved second wife, Kusum Mathur (née Tomer), his mother-in-law Vidya Vati Singh and his brother Durga P. Mathur. Sukhu was predeceased by his beloved first wife Veena Mathur (née Sharma), and his parents, Chhail B. Mathur and Bhagwati Devi Mathur.

Cherished father of Bela Dunleavy (Michael), Sanjiv Mathur (Cathy Orlando) and Neil Mathur (Lisa Richard). Loving grandfather to Lucas, Nikhita, Salina, Anita, Sophia, Nadia, and Natasha, he will be greatly missed by them and by his nephews, grandnephews, and grandnieces. Sukhu was a man of great kindness, compassion, and charity, who enriched the lives of his many family, friends, and acquaintances.

Sukhu was a highly-regarded scientist and scholar – as well as publishing hundreds of papers on biochemistry and microbiology during his career, Sukhu was at the forefront of theories and research on climate change (including early involvement with the IPCC).

An avid traveler for both work and pleasure, Sukhu visited more than 82 countries and 45 US states during his lifetime, fuelled in part by his passionate love of history (which he never hesitated to share over dinner, along with his love for puns and his easy laughter).

The family would like to extend its heartfelt thanks to the staff at the Ruddy-Shenkman Hospice for their care and compassion. Relatives and friends will be received at Pinecrest Cemetery, 2500 Baseline Road, Nepean, on Thursday, May 9, 2019, from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. The Funeral Service will begin at 10:30 a.m. with cremation to follow. A reception will follow at his daughter’s home (directions to be provided at service). In lieu of flowers, donations made to the Ruddy-Shenkman Hospice and The Ottawa Mission would be welcomed.

Eulogy for Dr. Sukhdev Mathur (May 9, 2019)

Good morning everyone, my name is Mike Dunleavy, and for almost 32 years, in addition to being married to his wonderful daughter Bela, I have had the honour and pleasure of having Sukhu as my father in law. Even 32 years is, sadly, too short a time to truly know and appreciate an amazing man like Sukhu. He was not only a kind and obviously extremely tolerant father in law – he was also a devoted husband, a loving father, grandfather and brother, an inspired scientist, a prolific scholar, a keen historian, a talented chef, a great traveller, apparently a capable actor, and always a would-be “comedian”. But even as he pursued excellence in all aspects of his life, his actions were always grounded in his fundamental qualities: dignity, kindness, compassion, reasonableness, humour.
Sukhu was born in the city of Ajmer in the state of Rajasthan, India in December 1934. A self-described “sickly” child, Sukhu was mainly focussed on intellectual pursuits, but this didn’t stop him from occasionally encountering the king cobras, wild dogs or tigers that became the subject of some of his most lively after-dinner stories. During his youth, he found some happiness and small acclaim as an amateur actor, but perhaps the most important result of his acting was that it gave him a chance to meet his beloved first wife Veena (known as “Goodie” to most people). Their union was not at first approved by their parents, but both could be quite convincing, each in their own particular way, and they were happily united in June 1960. Their love and bravery was further demonstrated by their move to the wilds of Saskatchewan in 1962!

In an academic and professional career that spanned more than 40 years, Dr. Mathur authored and co-authored hundreds of papers in microbiology and biochemistry. Much of his key work was focussed on the mechanisms of decomposition and composting. His research would lead to large-scale composting/recycling projects for food waste and food processing by-products in locations around the world, garnering him many honours including the keys to several cities. Dr. Mathur’s ground-breaking work on the exponential effect of climate change on peat bogs and permafrost led to his early involvement and contributions to the IPCC (the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). In other words, he was a world class soil scientist, but of course he liked to refer to himself as simply a “down to earth guy” (get it?)…

His early struggles to stand out academically in a highly competitive field and his eventual success made Sukhu respect and support similar efforts of his family and friends. My sister in law Cathy tells us that when she lacked for role models as a young woman in the field of science, Sukhu went out of his way to introduce her to women working in science, who helped inspire her to complete her studies (a legacy that lives on today in Cathy and Sanj’s three daughters and their love of science).

While Sukhu’s career was taking off, his burdens at home were becoming heavier, as his beloved Goodie gradually succumbed to illness. I remember being in awe of Sukhu’s patient, loving care for Veena – he would keep her company late into the night, sharing cigarettes together in the family room, and still he would get up early in the morning to go work while Veena slept, coming home in the afternoon to make dinner and staying up with Veena again late into the night. He did this for years, in testimony to his loving and compassionate nature. In his later years, the kindness and care he showed to Veena would be returned to him by his loving second wife Kusum, who tenderly cared for him as his health declined in recent years, something for which we are all very grateful to Kusum.

His loving and compassionate nature was evident in many aspects of his life. For years, Sukhu provided support to his family and in-laws in India, and he was instrumental in encouraging and assisting various family members and others to start new lives in Canada. He maintained close contact with his many nephews and grandnephews and grandnieces in India, of whom he was always extremely proud. Little wonder his full name “Sukhdev” includes the word “sukh” which means “happiness” – given the happiness he gave to so many people during his life.

Sukhu travelled the world for his work and for pleasure, visiting 82 countries and 45 US states over the years. Anyone who has seen the world map on his dining room wall knows that it’s covered with an astonishing number of dots to mark the places he visited in his travels. Kusum became his fellow adventurer in these travels – together they climbed the temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, explored the cave city of Cappadocia in Turkey, toured the temples of India and visited the capitals of Europe. It was the great disappointment of his later years that he was not able to find the time to visit South America and scale the heights of Machu Picchu (but no doubt he could still have told you its entire history!).

Among his many talents, Sukhu was an excellent cook – he described himself as having learned the art because, as a sickly boy, he was always underfoot in the kitchens of his youth. His amazing, almost photographic, memory was no doubt a help in the kitchen. Many a family meal was passed discussing recipes and the fine points of Indian cooking, between the occasional free history and biology lessons. He was a culinary adventurer too – the vegetarians in the audience may want to cover their ears here, but Sukhu reported himself as having tried more than 100 different types of animal meat in his lifetime – including dog, snake and alligator, among others (although he admitted that sometimes he only learned of what he had eaten after the fact!).

One of my favourite personal memories of my father in law is also a great example of his abundant patience – its when he tried to teach me to appreciate his favorite sport of cricket. Now Sukhu was the kind of avid cricket fan who would get up at 3am to watch the live coverage of a match from India, so teaching a complete newbie like me was bound to be a bit trying for him, especially over the course of a four-hour long exhibition cricket match at the Skydome. But that afternoon with Sukhu of beamers and dippers and googlies (I kid you not…) turned out to be both educational and immensely enjoyable. At least after that I appreciated his passion for the game (even if I didn’t get up with him at 3am to watch…).

My father in law Dr. Sukhdev Mathur was a proud man, and rightly so given his accomplishments, but he was most proud of his children, Bela, Sanjiv and Neil – not only in their own accomplishments but in the excellent people that they became, the wonderful spouses that they chose (pause), and the beautiful grandchildren they provided to him and of whom he was so proud and loving. He was a great father in law, among so many, many other amazing things. He will be deeply missed but we will always rejoice in his amazing life…

Return to “Community News”